Why is Freelance Development So Popular and Important?
Wondering why should you hire a software developer (freelance), Below are some of the pros which will help you make your decision:
- Freelance development offers freedom and flexibility
- The talent pool is rapidly increasing, therefore you can easily hire software developers (freelance) with significant knowledge and expertise
- This option is cost-effective as opposed to hiring full-time
- Ideal solution for project-based tasks because not all projects require full time software developer services
Pros, and Cons of Being a Software Developer
If you are looking for a career in software development, below are some of the pros and cons of being a software developer online:
- Software developers have good salaries. Companies can easily hire senior software developer on an annual salary of over $100,000. According to Payscale, developers in the US can earn an average annual salary of $102,592.
- Software developers are high in demand. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, software developer jobs are predicted to grow by 17% by 2024.
- Software developers have the liberty to either work from home or work full-time. Which offers them more flexibility and work-life balance.
- If you have chosen software development, chances are you not only get to work individually but also in a team setting which can broaden your horizons.
- Opportunities of growth are limitless for software for both senior and junior software developers.
- Whether companies want to hire sr software manager or security software developer – the competition is all time high. Therefore you need to do something different such as an online coding Bootcamp to stand out from the rest.
- May lead to a sedentary lifestyle which is a cause for concern.
- Long work hours can lead to unnecessary stress and related health issues.
The Cost of Hiring Software System Developers
Software developers mostly work on hourly rates. Having said that, software developer hourly rates vary based on experience level and the complexity of the project. If you are looking for the best custom software developers and bespoke software developers, the price will be higher as compared to just making tiny changes or maintaining an already developed software. Moreover, if you are looking to hire a software development project team rather than engaging an individual, the cost will automatically be higher. Also, the expenses greatly depend on whether you’re looking to hire an in-house developer, a freelancer, or an agency. Hourly rates can be anywhere from $30 to $120 (or more), for development teams, estimated rates are between $150 to $300 per hour for projects ranging in size from $100,000 or more.
Hiring a Best Software Developer
Keep the following tips in mind, when hiring junior software developer or a software development manager:
- Understand your own project’s requirements
- Ask all the right questions
- Thoroughly review their portfolio
- Know about their level of experience
- Interview them to gauge their compatibility
- Know about their understanding of the project
- Offer a paid trial period
- Make sure to sign an NDA
Important Skills to Look For Before Hiring A Junior/ Senior Software Developer
- Soft skills such as motivation, flexibility, dedication, attitude and personality
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub
- Understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Understanding of both object-oriented programming languages and functional programming languages
- Knowledge of computer networks and operating systems
- Source control management and testing procedures
- Understanding of debugging
- Familiarity with software frameworks and cloud computing
Popular Ways to Engage Software Developers
Full-time: You can hire software developers on a full-time basis. But hiring full-time means more recruitment and retention costs. On the other hand, hiring full-time comes with reliability, consistency, and transparency.
Part-time: Here, you can engage software developers on a contractual basis and end the contract after the work is completed. Even though part-time software developers do not enjoy that same level of benefits or perks that full-time employees do, they are an ideal option for companies running on a budget and having a strict deadline to meet.
Hourly-basis: hiring developers on hourly rates is probably one of the most cost-effective solutions. Moreover, it gives you the flexibility of hiring employees for a specified time. Some people may confuse freelancers and part-time employees. Freelancers usually work on an hourly basis whereas part-time employees work on a project to project basis.